Saturday, March 06, 2010

32 Million Deaf and Hard of Hearing Phone users in Massive Mobile Network Rip Off Scandal (6M in UK)






This would indeed make top headlines in every national and local newspaper and have mobile CEOs heading for the bunkers if these users had a voice, but year in year out the deaf community around the world have put up with the situation.

In my case I have had a mobile since the days when a mobile was the size of a car battery. and every month I have paid out a portion of my bill for calls - they have been described as "Talk Time" - Bundled Minutes. And while most plans offer more and more of them there is no such thing as free.

Over the years My landline and Mobile Minutes have cost me thousands of pounds.
I cannot use them - I dont want them - but it seems I have no choice

I have written to every European Network operator - Members of parliament - Regulators - and virtual networks. Mostly Im ignored or referred to some web page insisting that "We have a commitment to disabled customers" blurb.

You would think that at least 1 clever network would seize upon the opportunity of reaching this vast demographic? 9 million Deaf/HOH users in the UK alone.

Now some people have suggested we don't NEED a phone - But its Not true I can for example Speak into a phone for 911/999 calls for an ambulance - Fire - or relay a voice message to my family - or indeed get a friend to make a call on my behalf, but the number of times I do this adds up to less than 5 mins a month.

Facebook - GTalk - Gmail - MSN Messenger all provide my links to the hearing world, SMS is way less important than it was even 5 years ago and becoming less relevant with each passing day.

ANDROID is the PERFECT PLATFORM for me and millions like me - Choose my contact and I can see instantly the best method to get my message across.

Can You Help Me?

If your working for a Network or checking new price plans Please ASK (on behalf of a friend) if they offer a "DEAF TARIFF" and if not Why Not.

Please Mention some of the facts above on your Blogs

Pester your own networks - Please Give a voice to people that don't have one.

Together we could change the world - Remember that many deaf HOH members of our community are often the lowest paid - They can least afford to subsidise your voice calls.


Android DEVELOPERS!!

Can You think how useful a real Time SUBTITLED world could be if your out and about?
Imagine being out Shopping or with a group of friends the isolation you feel if everyone Gets a joke except you - because you missed a punchline / or you sign up for a service but incorrectly miss read someone's lips.
ANDROID has all the tools ready to put together a reasonably reliable real time subtitling machine.
Noise cancelling microphones - "Speak now" Search Prompt etc we are almost there....


Thanks you for taking the time to read this

David

_________________________________________________________________

Hey Im Not Alone it seems others are waking up to the idea we get a raw deal

ANDROID FOR THE DISABLED - at the great ANDROID and Me Website

2 comments:

daviddbuk said...

Well I have waited 12 months until I thought Android and the phones to run it had converged into the brilliant point it is now, Android and HTC have significantly changed the way we think about mobile devices.

Imagine my disappointment then when I finally took delivery. The absolutely dire ringer volume. Its NOT Fit for Purpose!!!! (I can only consider using two or three, the rest only my dog can hear).

Look guys - joking around telling people to go to a quiet environment or worse BUY A HEARING AID is just insulting -

Nine million people in the UK (15% of the population) suffer from permanent, disabling hearing loss.

The estimated demographic figure has ranged from 22 million deaf and hard of hearing to as high as 36 million deaf and hard of hearing worldwide. Of these, only a few million are considered "deaf" and the remainder are hard of hearing but cannot use a phone.

For 30 years this huge group of customers have had a raw deal Paying out for Unused "Call Time" they cannot or simply find too frustrating to rely on and are sick of it - NOW HTC are giving us phones we cannot hear ringing or notifications.

Boy am I pissed I just signed a 2 year contract. :mad:

_______________________________________________

I have a £10 Samsung Plastic ultra cheap and nasty on a Pay As You go on an old number im reluctant to give up - I Can hear that from the Next room and its never failed to wake me in the mornings - The radio is crystal clear and LOUD - Perhaps HTC should be buying their speakers from SAMSUNG

daviddbuk said...

Raytheon shows off TransTalk speech translator for Android that was intended for military only - but who would have predicted that by 2013 22 million Deaf and Hard of hearing would have this in their pockets completely free.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/11/raytheon-shows-off-transtalk-speech-translator-for-android-hope/

Sylvester

Sylvester
Tribute to Sylvester - By the time Sylvester died on December 16, 1988 of AIDS-related complications, he had firmly cemented his reputation as one of the most original and talented musicians to come out of the disco arena. While Sylvester represented to mainstream America the Black and gay cultural origins of disco music, his body of work included not only crucial contributions to the disco songbook, but also ballads that proved he was a versatile stylist who brought a realness and depth to all his material.